Sunday, May 3, 2009

Hello Dominica!

Hi everyone! I am finally sweating away on the island of Dominica. No joke. You really do sweat a lot here. I will tell the story about my very interesting journey from Vancouver and will try not to write a super long essay on that ;)

I kissed Vancouver goodbye on Apr 30 when I hopped onto the GreyHound bus with Dad. It was a beautiful day. Super sunny and hot - which was desired because Vancouver had been cool for quite some time. We didn't have any trouble going across the boarder, but I must say that I think people who work there should smile more. The fellow who checked me did not smile till he returned my passport to me and made a joke. Even though the joke was not all that funny but the smile was very nice.

We then got back on the bus and onto the highway in Seattle, heading towards the main bus depot. Then suddenly we heard the loudest 'kong kong kong' sound while a section of us bounced on our seats a little. The smell of burning rubber came next. GREAT!!! JUST WHAT I WANTED!! FLAT TIRES AND IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE :D After some struggling, the driver found out that the company can send someone to fix the tires and it will take 1.5 hrs to get to where we are. And the fixing process would be about 30 mins... I panicked a little, but not so much because the weather was too nice - and it was hard to get frustrated in nice weather. Long story short, the driver ended up waving down a tour bus to take me and some others straight to Seattle Tacoma International Airport! We got there earlier than planned...

We bought a muffin and yogurt from a Starbucks at the Seattle airport and they were SO SUGARY. And that reminded of the movie Supersize Me and the stats involved! ;) But I ate the food anyway. Then I hopped onto the plane and my Dad headed back to Vancouver. The flight from Seattle to LA was alright. It took about 3 hours. But for the first time I sat in the very very back row and really hated it - I couldn't put my seat back at all! How would you like sitting at 90 degrees for 3 hours? Then I transfered again from LA to San Juan and this was the brutal flight. I couldn't make myself comfortable in these seats and I swear I could almost feel the blood clotting in my lower body. The flight from San Juan to Dominica was in a very small plane. As we landed, the turbulence was so great that I thought we were gonna drop! But we landed safely. Guess what? Lots of staff at the Immigration Office were wearing masks! Of course, we all had some kind of swine flu :p

So how do I like the island so far? I LOVE it! About the beauty of it, I don't think I need to say much - I have picked a few pictures to put up here so you can judge. There is a photo of me on my day of arrival right outside my apartment. How do I like the heat? I am enjoying it but I have to say the humidity makes the air quite heavy that I am still adjusting to breathing it. You could really feeling your lungs working hard! Let alone the fact that this place is full of hills (which I love)! Dominica is indeed a nature island. Coming from Vancouver I was always living a city life but I am enjoying this change - despite the fact that I was pretty much starving for the first 2 days hahaha! Oh that thought makes me laugh... In fact I still haven't gotten any groceries because the stores are so scattered and the big market is a bit far from here. I need to do that soon!

There are banana plantations EVERYWHERE! Yet I still haven't had a single banana since I got on the island! Sigh... There are also so many mangos and coconuts! Man! I am so lucky to be living with my favourite fruits! :D I went out with a couple of friends I met here to the beach today and they convinced me to go snorkeling! I might just do that tomorrow and find some sea urchins and corals!

Lastly I would like to point out that right now it is around 4 30am here and I can't sleep. Maybe it is because of the party tonite? Or maybe it's the adjustment I still need to make? Anyhow, but that gives me a chance to update everyone :) Enjoy the pictures.

5 comments:

  1. OMG sea urchins are yummy!
    your pictures of Dominica do look beautiful ..
    but why is the one of you so pinkish?

    hope u start sleeping at normal hrs by the time classes begin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, wow. Good thing your bus driver knew how to think.

    Glad that you made it there safely and on time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexis!! Seems like everything is going well with you! I'm so glad to hear that. Seems like lots of fun, snorkeling, tropical fruits, the nature, the place looks like heaven!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jade - Dominica is absolutely gorgeous. And the beauty of it is something that you have to see with your own eyes in order to fully appreciate. And what's so pinkish? My building? That is its real colour! It's sorta purple/pink.

    Cam - The Grey Hound incident was a little scary for a second. But for some reason I wasn't too frustrated... I had a feeling that it would all work out :)

    Iran - I think you would love it here, especially the people and the nature. You like photography.. there are SO many different kinds of tropical flowers here and they are all so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is my turn to write here...hmmm, where do I start I want to write an essay!

    You look so, so, soooo happy on your facebook pictures, I can't even explain it...and maybe a little bit of a tan gave you a healtier color too...I dunno...

    As far as the seats...yeah, I've been there, except on a nine hour flight! I have a bad lower back because I injured it jumping for the cherries when I was young so it is a bitch to fly for long hours :( At least you are all safe and sound!

    Now, onto the heat...I got news for you!!! I tried Hot Yoga! Bikram's Hot Yoga! It's an intense workout in a hot room with 26 postures. I sweat a pool! There was a pool of sweat on my matt, my towel was completely soaked along with the clothes and my hair - all completely soaked all done by me and only me! I've never sweat more in my life; My mind became a mush towards the end that I couldn't figure out simple yoga movements where which hand goes. All I could think of was going outside to get some fresh, cool air!! [the heat talk reminded me to tell you all this] Plus, my heart beated thousand times per second! What a workout. By the end of it, I could not feel my body; I felt like I was floating, completely releasing all the tension in me...and guess what, I loved it! I am going to go again, and maybe again, and again...hehehe...reminded me of your marathons...wish you were here...

    ReplyDelete

What is on your mind?

 

tardive dyskinesia

Locations of visitors to this page