Monday, November 7, 2011

Psych... just a bit crazy?

Didn't realize how long I have stopped having verbal diarrhea until I looked at the date I wrote here last! It's been 5 months! Got a bit caught up in the craziness of rotations and lost track of time (hopefully a good enough excuse). I have progressed and now I'm done with Surgery, Ob/Gyn, and Peds. My current rotation is Psychiatry and, needless to say, it's crazy...

I have done a few weeks of hospital consults and 1 week of inpatient service in a psych institution. But just from consults alone, I felt like this rotation is forcefully opening my eyes. I did not realize how prevalent depression is. Nor did I realize how many dysfunctional families there are out there. I don't think everyone is perfect but I did not think there were that many irresponsible parents out there. It is not rare to have a Psych patient tell heartbreaking stories of childhood and how they were mistreated and misguided by their parents. I have a lot of sympathy for some of those patients who end up developing anxiety, paranoia, or schizophrenia. The sadder thing is - there is no cure for most of those patients. The best thing you could do is to control their symptoms. But even with trials after trials of medications half of them still suffer (nevermind the countless side effects the medications bring with them). Overall, I feel that Psychiatry is somewhat a sad field. You need to be very stable and strong emotionally to be a physician in this field.
Peds was my rotation before Psych. To my surprise, I quite enjoyed it. Working with children was not as bad as I imagined it to be. NICU was great. With a slightly slower pace but a wonderful warm hearted team of physicians and nurses, many premature neonates were taken care of there. It was a very different and interesting atmosphere. I felt calm every single day when I was in the NICU. Even got to burp some little babies! That was fun :) PICU was also great but a lot more intense. There were a lot of asthma exacerbations, overdose, and head traumas (surprise?!). These kids range from a single digit in age to 18 years old. I was shocked to see so many head traumas in kids. I was more shocked to find out the cause of most of the head traumas is the lack of a bike helmet. Sigh... Safety precautions! Then I rotated in the ED again. Only this time, I stayed in the Peds section. I worked with amazing physicians who taught me a lot! I was happy to be reunited with ED for the second time. Next was outpatient Peds clinic. I also loved my experience there. Despite the fact that the illnesses are relatively mild compared to PICU or ED patients, I saw a variety of diseases and the atypical presentations in kids! (Kids are weird... period) I did somewhat get a headache from trying to memorize the immunization schedules...
Anyhow, just another day :) And that's my dog Taro. Take care everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is on your mind?

 

tardive dyskinesia

Locations of visitors to this page