Monday, February 8, 2010

Yet another screaming wound...


So... I wonder when these will stop? Guess never ever. And ever. Today's exam was difficult. Definitely a wake-up call on how much harder and more efficient I need to be in terms of studying. The Mini consisted of Pharm, Micro, Path, and Behavioural, with Behavioural being the toughest! Now, I was warned that Behavioural is going to require quite some effort, but I didn't expect the questions to be so heartbreaking on the exam. As I was reading through them, it felt like they were tearing my cornea into pieces, little by little... The exam was longer than usual as well, a total of 143 questions in 2hr and 45min. Here is a taste of only the crust of medicine. Yet it is intense.

Pharmacology was tricky with the calculations. I was never sure if I remembered the formulas correctly. Leading up to the exam I tried to do practice questions more than once. But there was so little time that I had to carefully plan out my study time so I could look at every lecture at least once. And once it was - for Behavioural and some Path lectures. Lesson learned: I need a new way of studying this semester. Forget the 'let's read a few chapters in the book to understand this better'. It is all about how to maximize your brain capacity for the shortest amount of time given - so you can pass and make it to the next semester. Initially I tried to set my goal as to learn to retain information for the long run. Well, it is not gonna work if I continue to be a Ross student. The amount of material we are being fed is so overwhelming that I think I might just have to master rote learning (which is difficult for me)...

However, I am thankful that Mom was there for me today when I needed to let out my sadness and frustration in how incompetent med school makes me feel. She is always great at steering me away from silly depressing thoughts. I spent the night with a close friend pigging out on Chinese food and watching Wolverine (a quite awesome movie, actually, with some amazing effects). Enough said, I think I am ready to be up on my feet again tomorrow and go at it full speed for the next exam!

You can push me over but you can't keep me down.

1 comment:

What is on your mind?

 

tardive dyskinesia

Locations of visitors to this page