Friday, April 29, 2011

1/3 Way through...

Back from the dead. Sort of. That's if I don't count the sleep deprivation. Today is the last day of my first month in surgery. I'm on call tonight. And the following Monday I am starting under a different attending. 2 more months to go! :)
I have been learning a lot just rounding everyday on my own and with my residents/attendings. One thing I have realized is I like being at the bedside. In my first 2wk I was in the OR assisting surgeries. Most of those patients were outpatients with a post-op stay of 5hr max, so I never got to talk to them and know them. The only chance I had to talk to those patients were during the pre-op hour when they were getting prepped for surgery. However, when I started working with the trauma team I had a lot more exposure to inpatient care. Most trauma patients had to be in the hospital for days, some even weeks. Common injuries included falls (w head injuries), MVA, gunshots etc. I really enjoyed working with trauma. We got to follow up with patients everyday, learn their medical hx and follow their progress. I'm certainly getting better at writing those SOAP notes (so many everyday...) I feel.
Saginaw is quiet. Despite the unexpected snow/hail earlier this month, the weather has turned around. We are supposed to get sunshine all week coming up. I'm excited even though I'll probably not see much of the sunshine...
Missing home a little bit. And missing my friends. Hope everyone is doing well :)

2 comments:

  1. Hey !! I am gonna start my Trauma department in a few weeks .. right now doing GI.. I kind of find it not so Interesting .. hope you don't mind giving me TIPS so that I can amke the most out of what I am doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What service are you on? GI surg? or GI medicine?

    ReplyDelete

What is on your mind?

 

tardive dyskinesia

Locations of visitors to this page