Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Breathe


Second day of school and I am liking what I am learning. Truthfully, despite all the 'fear factors' passed around among the student body about the 3rd semester, I am super excited about what this semester holds. Maybe I will be laughing at myself for saying this later on in the semester, but right now that is precisely what is on my mind. Not a single bit of fear, just pure anticipation! We have 4 subjects: Microbiology/Immunology, Behavioural Science, Pathology, and Pharmacology. Don't be fooled (as we are told by the upperclassmen)! Even though we only have 4 subjects, the load is as heavy as last semester. Not to mention the content is completely new! 'It is like learning a new language', one of our professors said about Pathology. And it is true. This challenge is making me excited! Besides these subjects, we are also starting ICM or Introductory Clinical Medicine, where we will begin to learn how to properly interview patients regarding their illnesses. Finally, I am touching fingertips with real medicine :) This entire patient interview deal brings back memories for me of the years I spent working beside the wonderful cancer patients. And I miss them. I miss that sort of interaction. Sometimes, I wish (very naive..) that I could keep in touch with every single person I have met and liked since the day I could process my own thoughts. Obviously impossible... but one can certainly dream!

Also this semester my biggest goal outside the academia is to live a balanced life. Hurting my back severely during this winter break has evoked something in me, and that special something is the motivation behind my goal. I have been attending yoga classes twice a week since I got here. Even though the starting goal is to help my back recover, I know I will try my best to stick to this routine because it is making me feel refreshed and pumped for the load I am getting.

This semester I will be TA-ing again for Neuroscience and Biochemistry. But I think for Biochemistry I may become an appointment-only TA. So instead of having a session every weekend, I hold tutor sessions for those in need and those that contact me to schedule a meeting. That way I will have more flexibility overall. Hm, so much to anticipate for!

Ok... I should get back to studying. Already spent 2.5hrs doing yoga and cleaning up. Ready to dive back into the game again. And tomorrow will be a GOOD day!

2 comments:

  1. Yoga...yeah, baby! That's a way to go, and I am glad it's pumping you up and making you feel good :) Keep up the good work, stay sane :)

    ReplyDelete

What is on your mind?

 

tardive dyskinesia

Locations of visitors to this page